Name a more iconic duo. We’ll wait.
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp Schnucks butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Schnucks flour
- (2) 15oz cans Schnucks crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup Schnucks vegetable broth
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ cup Schnucks milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices Schnucks sandwich bread
- 8 slices Schnucks American cheese
For Tomato Soup
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add flour to pot and continue stirring until flour browns slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes.
- Carefully transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return to pot; add vegetable broth, basil and thyme. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until soup simmers. Remove from heat and stir in milk, salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm. Serve with grilled cheese.
For Grilled Cheese
- 1. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Warm a skillet over medium-high heat and add one slice of bread, buttered side down. Top with one slice of cheese and another slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook sandwich until desired doneness, flipping once. Repeat until all sandwiches are made. Cut as desired and serve with tomato soup for dipping.
490 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 12G