These are the perfect project for a snow day!
ALWAYS A CLASSIC
TOTAL: 2 HR • 36 SERVINGS
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
11/2 cups Schnucks sugar
3 large Schnucks eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups Schnucks all-purpose flour
11/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat butter and sugar with mixer on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to wet ingredients.
- Refrigerate dough for 45 minutes. On a floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thick and cut into desired shapes.
- Place shapes on foil-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for an additional 15 minutes.
- Bake 6-8 minutes. Let cool until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack. Decorate as desired.
PER SERVING: CAL 112, FAT 6G (3G SAT. FAT), CHOL 29MG, SODIUM 108MG, CARB 14G (0G FIBER, 3G SUGARS), PRO 2G
TRY TOPPING YOUR COOKIES WITH:
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Shredded coconut
- Mini marshmallows
- Chopped candy bars
- Crumbled potato chips
- Crushed peppermint
- Breakfast cereal
- Dried fruit
TO CREATE SWIRLED ROYAL ICING:
- Using a pastry bag with a fine tip, lightly outline cookie with royal icing and let it dry.
- Fill in the outline with royal icing. Close any gaps by moving icing with a toothpick.
- While icing on cookie is still wet, add designs on top using a different color of royal icing; icings will blend together. Create additional swirls and designs by dragging a toothpick through wet icing.
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 5 drops food coloring of choice and 2 tablespoons corn syrup until smooth.
Beat 4 cups powdered sugar and 1½ cups Schnucks unsalted butter on low speed until combined. Add 3 tablespoons heavy cream, 1 tablespoon vanilla and ¼ teaspoon salt; continue beating until fluffy.
^ Icing Tip:
After resting for 10-15 minutes, royal icing will develop a thin crust on its surface as it begins to dry. However, it will take several hours for the cookies to dry completely.