Apple and pumpkin are great, but it’s time to add some new pie flavors to your repertoire.
YES YOU (PE)CAN PIE
TOTAL: 1 HR 15 MIN • 8 SERVING(s)
1 Pillsbury rolled pie crust
3 large Schnucks eggs, beaten
2 cups pecan halves
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp. Schnucks butter, melted
2 tbsp. bourbon of choice
1/2 tsp. Schnucks salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll crust over the pie plate, pressing into the sides and bottom. Crimp edges of crust.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl until combined and pour into crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 45-50 minutes. If crust starts to brown too quickly, cover edges with foil. Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.
PER SERVING: CAL 446, FAT 22G (9G SAT. FAT), CHOL 87MG, SODIUM 349MG, CARB 59G (1G FIBER, 34G SUGARS), PRO 5G
THIS PIE IS SUB-LIME
TOTAL: 1 HR 15 MIN • 8 SERVING(s)
does not include refrigeration time
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup Schnucks butter, melted
3/4 cup Schnucks sugar, divided
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
4 yolks from large Schnucks eggs
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tbsp. lime zest, finely grated
1/4cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Schnucks sour cream
3-4 drops green food coloring
1/2 cup brine from a can of chickpeas
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and 1/4 cup sugar until combined.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Firmly press crumb mixture into the sides and bottom of the pie plate, forming approximately a ½-inch crust.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden, and let cool. In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed milk, egg yolks, juice, zest, cream, sour cream and food coloring.
- Pour into pie crust and bake for 30 minutes, until edges are set and pie has a slight jiggle. Cool on a wire rack and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Using an electric mixer on high, beat brine and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add sugar in small increments, and beat until stiff peaks form. Stir in vanilla. Spoon or pipe meringue onto pie and broil for 1-2 minutes to toast. Serve immediately.
PER SERVING: CAL 494, FAT 23G (13G SAT. FAT), CHOL 161MG, SODIUM 366MG, CARB 67G (2G FIBER, 50G SUGARS), PRO 8G
TURN UP THE BEET TART
TOTAL: 1 HR • 8 SERVING(s)
1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
1 large Schnucks egg, beaten
1 tbsp. water
4 oz. Schnucks goat cheese, softened
4 oz. Schnucks cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
6 large beets, cooked, skin removed
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 cup pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a deep dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll puff pastry and cover pie plate, pressing dough into the bottom and sides.
- Using a fork, poke bottom of crust several times throughout and crimp top of crust. Place pie weights at the bottom of the dish or top with an additional clean pie dish to keep bottom crust from rising.
- Mix egg and water together and brush over top of crust. Bake crust until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat goat cheese, cream cheese, thyme, salt and pepper until combined. Spread mixture into the bottom of pastry shell.
- Slice cooked beets in half lengthwise, then cut into ¼ inch thick slices. Arrange beets in pastry shell, cut side down, starting in the center and working outward in a circular motion, slightly overlapping beet pieces.
- Drizzle tart with honey, sprinkle with pistachios and serve immediately.
PER SERVING: CAL 361, FAT 23G (10G SAT. FAT), CHOL 54MG, SODIUM 337MG, CARB 29G (2G FIBER, 13G SUGARS), PRO 11G