Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes plus chilling
Makes: 13 crème puffs
4 cups Schnucks vitamin D whole milk
1 cup Schnucks granulated sugar, divided
6 Schnucks large eggs, divided
1/2 cup cornstarch
4 tablespoons Schnucks unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon Schnucks pure vanilla extract
Pâte à Choux
1-1/4 cups water
1/2 cup Schnucks unsalted butter (1 stick)
1-1/3 cups Schnucks all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 Schnucks large eggs
2 packages (6 ounces each) Driscoll’s red raspberries
Schnucks powdered sugar for dusting
- Prepare Pastry Cream: In 3- to 4-quart saucepan, with heat-safe spatula, stir together milk and 3/4 cup sugar; heat to simmering over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, into 2 small bowls, separate the yolks and whites of 4 eggs, reserving the whites for another use. In medium bowl, with whisk, stir remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch; beat in remaining 2 whole eggs and 4 yolks. While continuously stirring egg mixture, gradually beat in about half of the hot milk mixture to temper eggs. Pour tempered egg mixture back into saucepan.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until mixture is very thick and bubbling, but not boiling, stirring constantly with heat-safe spatula. Remove from heat; pour pastry cream through fine-mesh strainer into separate heat-safe medium bowl. Add butter and vanilla, stirring constantly until butter is melted and well combined. Cover with plastic wrap, allowing it to touch the surface of pastry cream and refrigerate until completely cooled, about 1 hour. Makes about 4 cups.
- Prepare Pâte à Choux: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with parchment paper.
- In heavy-bottomed 3- to 4-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to simmering over medium-high heat; remove from heat. With wooden spoon, stir in flour and salt until combined. Return saucepan to heat; reduce heat to medium. Cook dough 3 to 4 minutes or until it starts to form a thin crust on bottom of saucepan, stirring constantly; remove from heat. To cool dough, transfer to large bowl; with mixer on low speed, beat 4 to 5 minutes or until dough is 138°F or less. When dough is cool enough, add eggs, 1 at a time, scraping bowl after each addition.
- Place 1/4 cup mounds of pâte à choux dough, about 2 inches apart, onto prepared pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pâte à choux has puffed, turns golden in color and has a hollow center when tapped on bottom. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To assemble Crème Puffs: With serrated knife, slice 1 puff in half; fill bottom half with about 4 to 5 tablespoons pastry cream and top with 4 to 6 raspberries. Place other half of puff on top and dust with powdered sugar. Repeat process with remaining puffs.
Each Crème Puff: about 340 calories, 17 g total fat (9 g saturated), 220 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g sugars, 9 g protein
For a chocolaty twist, replace the powdered sugar dusting with ganache. In 2- to 3-quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup cream until simmering over medium heat; remove from heat. Meanwhile, in microwave-safe small bowl, melt 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in microwave oven on high 30 seconds, stir. If needed, continue to heat in 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted. Stir melted chocolate into cream until smooth. Drizzle ganache over the top of filled crème puffs.