Celebrate the chill in the air with merry mugs of garnet-hued, mulled wine. Mingle fruity red wine with honey and spices for this simmered autumnal favorite and serve it at your next gathering. Try one of our simple flavor spins for a bit of variety.
- 4 cups apple cider
- 8 cardamom pods
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- 2 apples, sliced
- Combine the cider, cardamom pods, wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, orange zest and juice, cloves, star anise and apples in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs and garnish each with an orange peel.
SOME LIKE IT SWEDE
Dress up your mulled wine with brandy, raisins and more spices and call it Glogg, a Swedish holiday sipper. For a deeper flavor, add one ounce of cognac, whiskey or your favorite liqueur.
Garnish your drinks with cinnamon sticks, pomegranate seeds or cranberries. Your creativity serves a purpose: to season a potful of glorious wine.
Take the pan off the heat for half an hour to allow the spices to infuse the wine. Reheat before serving.
191 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 0G