Try pickling your vegetables with this recipe from Schnucks.
- 64 oz distilled white vinegar
- 9 cups water
- 2¼ cups Schnucks granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup kosher salt
- 2 tbsp pickling spice blend
- 2 tsp Schnucks crushed red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp Schnucks dried oregano leaves
- ½ cup garlic cloves
- 4 cups carrots, chopped
- 8 cups cauliflower, cut into 1½" pieces
- 6 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped into 2" chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1½" pieces
- In 8-quart stainless steel saucepot, heat all Marinade ingredients to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Add garlic; boil 3 minutes. Add carrots; boil 1 minute. Add cauliflower; boil 30 seconds. Add cabbage; boil 30 seconds. Remove saucepot from heat; add bell peppers and let stand 15 minutes.
- With large slotted spoon or sieve, transfer vegetables to large bowl or container (large enough to hold about 5 quarts). Reserve marinade. Let vegetables and marinade cool to room temperature. When cool, pour enough reserved marinade over vegetables to cover; discard remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight or up to 1 week.
44 Calories Per Serving