- 18 bamboo skewers
- 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1¼ cup well-stirred unsweetened coconut milk, divided
- ½ cup packed Schnucks light brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1½ tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ lb flank steak, sliced diagonally across the grain into ¼" thick slices
- ¾ cup Schnucks smooth peanut butter
- 1½ tbsp less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- In wide, shallow dish, cover skewers with water and let stand 30 minutes. Meanwhile, from lime, squeeze 2 tablespoons juice into blender or food processor with knife blade attached. Add garlic, ¾ cup coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce, ginger and turmeric; puree until smooth.
- In medium bowl, toss steak with ½ cup coconut marinade; set aside remaining marinade. Cover beef and refrigerate 30 minutes to marinate.
- In 1-2 quart saucepan, heat peanut butter, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, remaining ½ cup coconut milk and coconut marinade over low heat 4 minutes or until mixture simmers, stirring occasionally with whisk. Simmer 2 minutes; remove saucepan from heat. Cover and keep warm. Makes about 1¾ cups sauce.
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over high heat. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Thread beef onto skewers. Place skewers on hot grill rack and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until browned on the outside and still pink in center, turning skewers once. Serve beef satay with peanut sauce for dipping.
1531 Calories Per Serving
SATURATED FAT: 18G