Total: 45 min – 10 servings
1 lb. sweet potatoes
1 large sweet onion
1 jalapeño, finely diced
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup flour
2 tbsp. Schnucks cornstarch
black pepper, to taste
Schnucks vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Peel sweet potatoes and onion and finely shred using the grating blade on a food processor or by using a hand grater. Wring out the moisture by wrapping the shreds
in a clean towel and squeezing over the sink or by pressing the shreds into a fine mesh sieve.
- Place shredded potatoes and onion in large bowl. Add jalapeño, eggs, flour, cornstarch and black pepper. Mix thoroughly using your hands until well combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat in large skillet. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop a scant ¼ cup of the sweet potato mixture and drop into hot oil, then flatten using the back of a spatula to form a 2-inch patty.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until crisp and golden brown. Adjust heat if necessary to avoid burning and add more oil between batches, as necessary. Continue scooping mixture into skillet in batches, without crowding the pan.
- Transfer cooked latkes onto baking sheet and keep warm in oven until ready to serve. Latke mixture can be prepared several hours in advance and refrigerated. Make sure to cover tightly and omit the eggs until ready to fry. Drain any excess liquid before adding eggs to mixture.
Per serving: 174 Cal; 12g Fat 2g (Sat); 2g Pro; 15g Carb; 2g Fiber; 40mg Sodium; 37mg Chol