Easter lilies from Schnucks area a popular springtime tradition and make a thoughtful hostess gift. Follow these tips to help the spectacular blooms last longer.
- Remove the decorative foil wrapper from the pot. The foil can hold excess water and cause the roots to rot.
- Lilies prefer a cool, consitent daytime temperature of 60 to 65 degrees (and slightly cooler at night). Avoid locations near a direct heat source or any drafts.
- Find a bright spot with indirect sunlight. Direct sunlight will cause the flowers to wilt. The stems will grow toward the light, so turn the pot every 2 days to keep it growing straight.
- Avoid over-watering. Once the soil feels dry to the touch, it is ready for watering, but don't let it stay dry for a long period of time either.
- Remove wilted and fading flowers.
- Don't forget! All lilies are poisonous to dogs and cats, so use caution if you have pets.