TOTAL: 1 HOUR • 8 SERVING(s)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds ground chicken
1 large onion diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in ½ inch cubes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
1 32 oz box chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage, or 1 tsp dry
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 bunch green onion
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken; cook 5-6 minutes, strain excess juice and return to pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the squash, chili powder, cayenne and salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock, diced tomatoes and tomato paste, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook apples for 4-5 minutes, until light brown.
- Add the apples, beans and sage to the chili. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, until apples are tender. Stir in the green onions and parsley, let cool and serve.