TOTAL: 1 HOUR 10 MIN • 8 SERVING(s)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 lean ground beef
1 large onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 medium fresh poblano pepper, finely diced
1 large red bell pepper diced
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 32oz box chicken stock
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom stock pot heat oil over medium-high heat and cook the beef for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, strain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining oil and add the onion, garlic, poblano, and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in cocoa powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne. Add broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Stir in pumpkin, beans, and salt and black pepper, heat through.
- If desired, top with fresh cilantro, tortilla strips and sour cream.